Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ethical Food Reading

I've written a couple of books recently that are about the weighty subjects of where our food comes and how to eat in an ethical and sustainable way, and it's been an interesting journey, both in a literary and culinary sense. Many of my food habits, so long taken for granted, have changed as a result of my research. So have some of my reading habits. I now stop off at Barbara Jo's Book to Cooks on a regular basis to find out what else I can consume (literarily) on the subject.

I just finished a fascinating book by Tara Austen Weaver titled, "The Butcher and the Vegetarian: One Woman's Romp Through a World of Men, Meat and Moral Crisis." Ms. Austen, who was raised as a strict vegetarian, is suffering from health problems and decides to try eating meat to see if her ailments can be cured. Her story is a first-person account of how she bridged the gap from vegetarian to carnivore. I won't give the ending away, or reveal what she concludes about her health, but I will tell you it is a rivetting read. Will you be eating meat by the end of it? That's for you to decide.

Highly recommended!

No comments: