Sunday, April 25, 2010

BC Book Prizes: Congratulations All!

Last night, authors and booklovers gathered in Victoria to celebrate the best BC books of the past year.

Congratulations to all the winners and nominees! In the children's categories, Dean Griffiths with Frieda Wishinsky, and Carrie Mac were the winners of the illustrated prize and the novel prize respectively. Their books are: Maggie Can't Wait and The Gryphon Project. The other nominees in those categories are to be commended also.

I was especially pleased to see that the winner of the nonfiction prize was Lorna Crozier for her book, Small Beneath the Sky: A Prairie Memoir. It was one of the best books I read this year, and being from Saskatchewan myself, one that really spoke to me. (See an earlier post on this book.)

If you'd like to read the Victoria Times Colonist article on the events of the evening and winners in other categories, please see here. For more information on all the nominated titles, go here.

I wish I'd been able to attend the Gala. It's one of my favourite book events of the year. There's something very magical about being in a huge room full of authors and people who love books. If you've never attended, consider it for next year. It's a wonderful event.

Cheers!

No comments: