Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sad Day for Book Lovers

I am so sad to read the news today that Vancouver's longest-running, independent bookstore is closing up shop. Duthie Books is where my family has always bought books. They have been in business for some 50 years, providing Vancouverites with an excellent source of reading material. The staff was extremely knowledgeable and consistently helpful. It is a store that I will sorely miss.

I haved loved carrying my books in their cloth bag, which was decorated with the phrase, "Littera Scripta Manet," meaning, "the written word endures." I will continue to carry the bag and think fondly of all the books I have purchased from their store over years.

Thank you Duthie Books for many years of fine reading. I wish you and your staff all the best in the coming months and years.

No comments: