Sunday, November 9, 2008

SCBWI Afternoon

Yesterday, I spent the afternoon speaking to some of the talented folks in the local SCBWI chapter — Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. I had been invited to speak by the new president, Ken Kilback, who is also a Kindergarten teacher in Burnaby. The group was comprised of children's writers (some new and others more experienced) and I was impressed
by their intelligence and committment, and delighted by their warmth. What a lovely group! Their morning speaker was kc dyer, whom the group raved about, and I will admit to some niggling worry that she was going to be a hard act to follow. :)

Thank you so much to Ken for inviting me and to everyone in the group for their thoughtful and appreciative participation in the afternoon. I know I'm going to see a lot of books coming from this group. Best of luck to you all!

Thanks also to my colleague kc dyer, accomplished YA author and organizer of the Surrey's Writers Festival, whose blog I follow regularly. It was kc who helped me figure out the world of blogging (I heard her speak about it a few years ago) by giving me lots of helpful tips. Check out her blog here.

Cheers!

1 comment:

kc dyer said...

Hey Debbie -- I hope we made a good team for the SCBWI folks -- lovely to get a chance to catch up with you there!

~kc