Friday, October 10, 2008

Fall Books



I love fall book season! There are so many new titles I'm looking forward to reading. I've got two enticing fall releases sitting on my desk right now, but I haven't cracked the covers yet. I'm waiting to read them on a long plane trip I'm taking next week.

One is is a YA novel called Sister Wife, written by my good friend and talented author, Shelley Hrdlitschka. It's the story of an isolated rural community called Unity, where polygamy is the accepted way of life, and young girls are expected to marry much older husbands. There are three main characters (all girls) with varying points of view. I can hardly wait!

The second is an adult novel titled, What They Wanted, by Donna Morrisey, author of Sylvanus Now and other fine books. I loved Sylvanus Now, which was the story of a Newfoundland fishing village and a man who was desperate to hang on to the old ways. It was a deeply moving story, and this new one is a sequel to it. Apparently, some of the characters leave Newfoundland to work in the Alberta oilfields.

Canada is rich with stories, and I feel very fortunate to have two intriguing ones sitting on my desk. I'll wait until next week to begin them, but it's going to be hard.

Happy Reading, everyone!

No comments: